Moving House? Here’s a Checklist To Help You Out
Image credit: Transport Executive
There’s no denying that moving house is stressful, regardless of whether it’s a rented property or one you own. There’s a lot to remember, and it’s more than likely you’ll have that “what have I forgotten” feeling right up until the day you hand your keys over. Get organised and ready to move with this handy checklist to tick off as you go.
1 month before
With one month to go it’s time to ramp up your preparations for moving and get to the nitty-gritty.
- Exchange contracts and finalise a moving date
- Once agreed, confirm moving date with your chosen removal or van hire company
- Organise home and contents insurance for the new home
- Start packing least used possessions first to clear up space
- Have a clear out – throw away or donate anything you don’t want to take with you
- Dismantle any furniture you don’t want to keep
- Organise any care for children/pets for moving day
- Notify employers and other important contacts about your move
2 weeks before
- Deep clean less regulated areas of the home and garden
- Start using food up from the freezer
- Keep packing non-essentials
1 week before
The week before moving is often the most stressful, so it’s important to make sure everything is done properly to ensure the move goes as smooth as possible.
- Retrieve any spare keys you may have given out to leave for the new owners
- Make sure all laundry is done and packed to leave less to take care of in the new house
- If new owners are arranged, leave a list of helpful info as well as a contact detail
- Contact utility providers, banks and mail providers to switch addresses
- Pack even more!
The day before
- You’ll need an overnight bag for the first night in the new house. Fill it with essentials such as toiletries, chargers, towels and changes of clothes
- If you have outdoor pets such as a cat, keep them inside overnight to ensure they’re there in the morning ready to move.
- Pack and label the final boxes, as well as an “Open me first” box, keep the kettle on top to make sure you can make a nice cup of tea in the new house!
‘Open me first’ box essentials:
- Cleaning supplies
- Pet food (if you have any pets)
- Remote controls for electronics
- Important documents
Today’s the daaaay! Today is all about making the old house into the same condition it was when you moved in, and getting the new house ready to move into as well.
- Remove any remaining items in the home that you want to keep- such as curtains, bedding and mirrors
- Take any utility meter readings and keep them safe
- Deep clean the remainder of the property and make sure the garden is tidy
- Collect keys from the estate agent/landlord
- Before walking out of the door, do one last run around of the house to ensure absolutely nothing important has been left behind!
- Count all the boxes to ensure everything made it off the moving van
- Do a run round of the new house and make sure the owners haven’t left anything. If they have, find their contact details and let them know as soon as!
- Test any keys for doors, windows and cupboards to make sure you’ve got them all
- Start unpacking room by room, prioritise the kitchen and bedrooms
- Find out what days your bins need to be collected
Finally… take the night off! Pop a bottle of champage, order something delicious and put your feet up. You’ve earned it!